Friday, October 7, 2016

Reflection Post

After looking through all of my prior posts I saw some common aspects in each one. The most noticeable to me was that each post has to due with organizations that I am/ have been a part of. They all are asking me to look at particular experiences I have had in different organizations and relate what those experiences to topics in the class. I have talked about my basketball team, internship, fraternity, and school all with specific details. In each post it seems like I am deconstructing the elements of these organizations to get a grasp of what makes them run so smoothly. I hadn't noticed how related all the posts are to each other until I did this reflection. I like how they all are about personal experiences, it makes me more interested in what we are learning in class. It also makes what we are learning easier to understand, the fact that I can relate everything to personal experiences really clears up most of the confusions I run into.

Looking back at my first post I can see an evolution in my writing style. To first note the most obvious changes, I started to separate my writing and I started to put the title in the correct position. These small changes make my posts look much more appealing to the eye, and help the reader enjoy them more. On top of those visual changes, the material I am writing today is much more analytical then it was at first. I am thinking of different angles and approaches and trying to talk about my experiences in much more detail. I have realized that in order for you to fully understand the organization I was a part of I can't be vague, I have to deconstruct it in as many ways as possible, allowing for you to have a much clearer picture of exactly what I am trying to portray to you. With the changes in style and the changes in the material I am writing, I can certainly say that my posts have been getting better each and every week.

When it comes to prompts, I want to first say that I have really enjoyed all of the ones you have provided thus far. Something that I would like to see would be a compare and contrast type prompt. For instance, maybe prose something where we have to compare an organization we are a part of on campus to organizations at different universities. It would give us a broader scope of knowledge on organizations rather than just what we are a part of. It would also allow us to see how different demographics play into the way organizations are put together and run. What I have seen in organizations in my life is very subjective to where I have grown up, and with that in mind I think it would be beneficial and interesting to dive into organizations that are located not so close to home. Another prompt idea is to have us talk to one of are parents and write about their job's structure. I think this would enlighten us on how a big time company works, since I expect most of our parents have solid and reliable jobs at major corporations. To me, this is would fit right into the course material and is something that is interesting to you to read and for us to learn about before we have to start are own job search.



5 comments:

  1. You used the word deconstruction multiple times in this post. I wonder where that comes from. I probably would use the word analyze instead. Is there some course (perhaps not an Econ class) where deconstruction was taught to you? If so, perhaps you could comment further on lessons from other courses that are relevant to our class or vice versa. Has you process here impacted what you are doing in your other classes?

    I am glad you liked the prompts. I'm not sure your classmates are of the same mind as you on that. You are right that I'd like you to draw lessons from your own experience, but I'd also like you to generalize some from that, perhaps speculate about what might be more broadly true. In other words, move from your own experiences to what is likely to hold in organizations generally.

    Regarding your ideas for other prompts, do note that you don't have to write to my prompt. You can write a different post entirely. The only requirement is that you tie what you write to course themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned deconstruction in my AP English class, it is very similar to analyzing. You can deconstruct an argument for example, that is where you locate all of the major parts (claim,ground warrant) and then look at how they play into the argument as a whole. I used deconstruct in my post because I was looking at all of the posts that make my blog and looking at them individually. I had to deconstruct my blog into individual posts in order to see patterns and common occurrences. I would say most concepts from other English classes I have taken are not very relevant, but concepts from all of my Econ classes obviously are. Having a strong understand of Micro/Macro Economics had proven to be very helpful in this course.

      I think I have made a few connections to broader scopes, rather just my own, but I will try and do it on a more common occurrence going forward. I really like that we get to take our own experiences into consideration and then make connections to a what is more broadly true, it allows us to learn through our real life experiences.

      I try and write to what your prose, but maybe I will drift off a little more freely in the future. I tend to like your prompts and the direction that you point us in, which speaks to why I have generally stuck to the path that you provide via the prompts.

      Delete
    2. I learned deconstruction in my AP English class, it is very similar to analyzing. You can deconstruct an argument for example, that is where you locate all of the major parts (claim,ground warrant) and then look at how they play into the argument as a whole. I used deconstruct in my post because I was looking at all of the posts that make my blog and looking at them individually. I had to deconstruct my blog into individual posts in order to see patterns and common occurrences. I would say most concepts from other English classes I have taken are not very relevant, but concepts from all of my Econ classes obviously are. Having a strong understand of Micro/Macro Economics had proven to be very helpful in this course.

      I think I have made a few connections to broader scopes, rather just my own, but I will try and do it on a more common occurrence going forward. I really like that we get to take our own experiences into consideration and then make connections to a what is more broadly true, it allows us to learn through our real life experiences.

      I try and write to what your prose, but maybe I will drift off a little more freely in the future. I tend to like your prompts and the direction that you point us in, which speaks to why I have generally stuck to the path that you provide via the prompts.

      Delete
  2. I think you bring up a lot of great points in this post. Having already read all your previous posts, I can agree that you definitely use personal experiences to work your way through each prompt. I did this as well. I think that your comments about you evolving as a writer for this course are true as well. Beyond the aesthetic updates that you mentioned like improving the header, I agree that with each post you become more analytical and dissect the prompt much more.

    As for the prompts, I think that your proposed ideas are very interesting. I think that comparing and contrasting different organizations would be a fun prompt to do near the end of the course since we will have had great experience learning about organizations. Overall, I have liked all the prompts as well, while I did find some easier to answer than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your posts because you always go into detail about your past experiences. I think that you are definitely improving your writing when compared to the first post because in each post you give more information about your past experiences and always bring up great points throughout your posts.

    I had a similar idea for the prompts to sort of scale everything back so we can see the big picture of everything. I think that this recommendation will make it fun as well as informative. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete