Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Reputation in my family

A place where I have a strong reputation is with my family. When my extended family meets on holidays they view me in a certain way, a way that is based on the reputation that defines myself. I am the youngest member in my family so my reputation was always being the cute and innocent sibling. I was always looked at as the little baby in the eyes of my family. They would always be checking in on me making sure I had enough food and was having a good time. Over the years I have grown older, and with that my reputation has developed. I am not looked at as the little innocent kid nearly as much. My family asks me about college and about about my work life, they know that I am growing up quick. However, they still remember my old reputation of being the youngest and it comes out at times. Even though i'm an adult, I see them treating me like a little kid sometimes.

In my situation, I am doing everything in my power to break my old reputation, I want to be treated like an adult like the rest of my siblings are. To do this I always dress fancy to holidays, I like to make sure they see me looking nice. I talk clearly and act like an adult in conversations. Over the past few years I have been told how quickly I have grown up and how I am not the little kid that I used to be anymore, they are starting to think a new reputation of me. I definitely want to stray away from the reputations my family thought of me, I want to be viewed as a successful adult. 

In regards to cashing in, I have done this before for an immediate gain. In high school I was in the marching band, which was a great experience, but it played a major role in my reputation. With that said, when I got to college I decided to not do marching band and I didn't talk about it at all. I wanted marching band to be out of my reputation forever so that I could be looked at in a different light by my college friends. I changed my reputation to look less geeky to make different types of friends then the ones I made in high school.

4 comments:

  1. Professors are not allowed to comment on the cuteness of their students. (This just a reaction to your first line.) So let me instead talk about the timing of this post, which is not cute. However, you've been a good an diligent student during the rest of the semester. So consider this using up your Get Out Of Jail Free card (from the board game Monopoly, if the reference is otherwise obscure).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The break and such through me out of schedule, I apologize for the lateness. And of course I know Monopoly, it's one of my favorite games along with Life. I tend to enjoy games where accumulating money is the objective, I find them slightly more realistic then others.

      Delete
  2. I think that your reputation is one that many children try to break. The youngest one in the family oftentimes is viewed similarly to how you were, and breaking that stigma could be tough. Another thing that I could relate this to is young celebrities trying to change their reputation as they grow older. We see this with celebrities that started their careers on Disney Channel where they are innocent children and a role model to children watching them. However, at some point those children turn into mature adults and they might strive to have roles that portray this maturity, but it's hard for people to see them any other way than the child they were when they became a star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that I can relate a lot to your situation. I was an only child so everyone that was around me when I was young remember an innocent child. Since I left my home country when I was nine years old every time I visit them they still treat me like that nine year old that they remember especially my grandparents. I used to find it annoying before because I felt like I was getting discredited to the things I accomplished. My opinion on that has changed over the years though and now I enjoy that attention that I get because it makes me remember all of the good times that I had throughout my childhood.

    ReplyDelete